You’ve got this awesome idea for a blog post, right? Now all you have to do is write and publish the post then you’re going to get thousands of views and incredible engagement. Man, I wish it was that easy.
Actually, there’s quite a bit that goes into a blog post and it’s not just about the writing. It all revolves around having an excellent content strategy.
1. Develop Your Organization’s Content Strategy
First thing first. You need to make sure your content strategy for your organization, company, or personal blog is good to go. According to Margot Bloomstein, “content strategy is the practice of planning for the creation, delivery, and governance of useful, usable content” (2012). Oh, and while developing your strategy, make sure you’re addressing the following:
- Creation: What will it consist of? Why? Where will it come from? Who will be in charge?
- Delivery: Where will your new content go? How are you going to post and share this with your users?
- Governance: How are you going to update your content and keep it fresh? How are you going to evaluate its effectiveness?
2. Design Your Website to be Easy on the Eyes
The best content you’ve ever created is worthless if no one spends time on your site. So make sure your website is easy on the eyes and easily navigable. A mess of unrelated advertising, too many colors, and too many links (just to name a few) can easily distract the reader and get him or her lost within your site. When that happens they’re going to quickly click away. And no one wants that.
3. Write an Easily Scannable, Highly Engaging Blog Post
Yes, a well-written blog post is still critical for success. This is going to be what keeps your readers coming back for more. When writing a post, keep these ideas in mind:
- Keep it short and scannable. Because we’re all short on time.
- Mix up your content a bit. Words are awesome, but don’t forget about video, photos, graphics, polls, podcasts and more.
- Keep it engaging. Pose a question or call-to-action (CTA) at the end of your post.
4. Follow-Up With Your Blog Post
Lastly, your new piece of content that you just published needs a bit of help to push it over the top. The proper distribution, search engine optimization (SEO), and following up with some analytics will ensure that you’re getting the most out of your posts. Come back to your content regularly and actively engage with those who post comments on the article and your social profiles. You can also refurbish any of your content that isn’t time sensitive. If that lengthy article you posted 6 months ago can easily be turned into a sweet graphic or video that can easily be consumed and shared, why wouldn’t you do it?
This will surely get you on your way to writing a killer blog post. Each of the 4 steps must all work together and none can stand alone. Start by focusing on your content strategy and when in doubt, always refer back to it. This will help to ensure you’re creating useful and usable content for your users that’ll stand out among the rest.
Think you have it down? What other steps do you take to create a killer blog post?